Wednesday, June 14, 2017

BAD DAY

I can count on one hand the number of times I have had a "bad" day since my total gastrectomy almost 10 months ago and I'm VERY thankful for that.

Last night gets added to this total. I have had a few times in the last month or so where I go to bed and it feels like what I've eaten has crawled back up my new tubing and is sitting in my throat. I usually get up, walk around for a bit, and go back to bed and prop myself up a little more and I'm good. I have been reading on... other support groups that this is not uncommon for TG patients. They often make sure they are propped up good for bed, will have something acidic before bed (like pop, OJ, or a more acidic fruit), or if this wakes them up they will drink/eat one of those things and then they are good. For whatever reason, the pH difference with what's in our tubing with something acidic seems to combat each other.

Well, last night I was awoken about 1am with this feeling of food or a whole bunch of phlegm in my throat. I tried walking around for a bit and making sure my pillows were really propped up. Nope, that didn't help. I got up a bit later and had a few drinks of some soda pop and laid back down. Nope, still didn't help. A little while later, I got back up and had an orange and laid back down. Still, no help. It doesn't feel like it's choking me or causing my airway to be blocked, but it's very uncomfortable and I cannot sleep with it just sitting in my throat. I couldn't get myself to throw it up, either. At 5am, I was sick of it and was beyond exhausted and frustrated! I sat upright and laid my head against the wall to sleep. THAT was the ONLY thing that helped. However, I woke up with the biggest headache! I'm not sure why this time was worse than others or why I couldn't "fix" it myself, but I sure hope this doesn't happen, again! Annoying is an understatement and I don't think I got even close to proper sleep, so I have felt icky all day so far. I plan to take a nap shortly and hope I can get some good and much needed sleep to help me function better today!

No comments:

Post a Comment