Wednesday, October 14, 2015

GASTRECTOMY AND MASTECTOMY AT THE SAME TIME???

I was feeling EXTREMELY overwhelmed the last few weeks and was even starting to get cold feet about this whole process. I was talking about this whole process with another person and all that this CDH1 mutation has to offer (ha..something like that). Anyway, they had suggested....why not just have a gastrectomy AND mastectomy at the same time? That way you won't have to have surgery, heal, have surgery, heal...plus, you will have already met your deductible with insurance. It all made complete sense when you say it like that. She said if it were her, that's what she would do...then, she would see the plastic surgeon she worked for to help her out with her tummy and her breasts. So, it's not like she doesn't know what she's talking about and although, she's never dealt with this specific situation, she's seen a lot!

On the flip side, my brain started going a million miles a minute and I was feeling EXTREMELY overwhelmed. Is this something I COULD do, is this something I'd WANT to do? Geez...if you're going to take two BIG pieces of me away, why not just take everything for God's sake! I'm not trying to be overly dramatic about it, but this was a lot to take in at one time and something I hadn't even thought of!!!

I spoke with Karen, from No Stomach for Cancer, who has been beyond amazing....so supportive, helpful, and caring. It helps when you talk with someone who has been through this all! She said she didn't even think it would be an option to do both at once. She, also, said that she had her complete gastrectomy, but has opted to just do the mammos & MRI's for now. Her niece, on the other hand, had a complete gastrectomy when she was 25ish and just recently had a mastectomy due to lobular breast cancer at the age of 31. (stupid CDH1 mutation!) She has put me in contact with her niece and I look forward to conversations with her! I'm not trying to discredit my counselor as she is very sweet and kind, but I felt it VERY helpful to talk with Karen as she has been there, done that! 

I, also, spoke with my doctor down at Mayo and she, too, said that there is no way they would want to do both surgeries in one day. She said that is way too much surgery for one person, at one time. I won't lie, this was VERY relieving! In the end, I'm not sure that I would have been able to do both at once....that's just a lot emotionally for one person. So, for now....going back to square one where, although, that too is a lot to take in....I think I'm mentally in place where I feel like I can do this and am not looking at turning back!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    I hope you've been in touch with Karen's niece, who is my amazing daughter!
    Hugs galore,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor girl got bombarded by me with a HUGE LONG email and she was kind enough to write back and take all that time to do so! I REALLY appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I have been!!! She is SO SO sweet and SO SO helpful! You have an amazing girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete