Sunday, November 6, 2016

THE INHERITED BREAST AND OVARIAN CANCER STUDY

Along with the CDH-1 mutation giving patients an 83% chance of HDGC (hereditary diffuse gastric cancer), it also gives patients a 42% chance of lobular breast cancer.  For now, I have decided to do the screenings for this which include mammograms 1/yr and an MRI 1/yr with 6 months in between the two.  I have my next mammogram scheduled pretty quick here and will get a full break down of everything related to lobular breast cancer, again, since my mind was very much on the stomach piece of this when I had my first mammogram about a year ago.

Of course, as you guys know, I am ALL about more research!!!  I just got a letter from Mayo Clinic asking if I would participate in a research study called, "The Inherited Breast and Ovarian Cancer Study" due to my CDH-1 mutation.  This study is to help the research team understand how breast cancer is inherited through families, establish the risks of cancer for patients with mutated genes, and to figure out the best way to manage risks for breast cancer between the patient and provider.  There's no doubt that I will help out with this study, too!  This will be pretty easy....just have to complete a study questionnaire, provide a buccal/saliva sample, and provide permission to contact relatives in my family whose participation may help advance their understanding of breast and/or ovarian cancer.  As with every test I have been a part of, I just hope that the information I can provide will help them advance their knowledge on all of this!!!

2 comments:

  1. I had breast cancer a year later but no one could tell if it was related to my stomach cancer or not. I had the lump cut out without losing hardly any of my breast (and it was a large lump) and now have regular mammograms. At the moment I am cancer free and have 3 monthly CEA blood tests. I feel really well every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they able to tell now, Julie, if the breast and stomach were related?? Glad you are doing SO well and staying on top of your health!! :)

      Delete