Friday, July 15, 2016

MUTATION CAME FROM GRANDPA....OR WAS IT GRANDMA....OR BOTH??

SO.....we know this CDH-1 mutation is genetic & cannot skip a generation. You usually find that family members have had diffuse gastric cancer or lobular breast cancer.

 We KNOW this mutation came from my mom as she passed away from the diffuse gastric cancer. We ASSUMED it came from her father who passed away from "adenocarcinoma" which means stomach cancer. The term "hereditary diffuse gastric cancer" wasn't even listed into the cancer books until 1998 and my grandpa passed away in 1986. There's a VERY good chance he, too, had the hereditary diffuse gastric cancer, but we will never know for sure.

 BUT....thanks to my Aunt Vera  for doing some research, we found out that my grandma had lobular breast cancer!! SO...not that it matters in the end, but really this CDH-1 mutation could have come from either my grandma OR my grandpa. AND...although, it would be pretty rare, there could be a chance that they BOTH had the mutation?? SO, if you have a 50% chance of getting mutated gene if one parent has the mutation, that would most likely, I'd think, give you a 100% chance of having the mutation if BOTH parents carried the CDH-1 mutated gene. This would mean my mom's brothers & sister would have a 100% chance of the mutation. We will never know for sure if both my grandma AND grandpa had the mutation, but we know there's a VERY good chance it could have come from EITHER of them.


 It would be VERY interesting to find out more about the cancer history in our family. For example, if there were more cases of stomach cancer and or breast cancer on my grandpa's side AND what kind of breast cancers family members on my grandma's side have had and if there were any other cases of stomach cancer. 


 ANYWAY, although it really doesn't matter in the long run and "it is what it is," this completely threw a curve ball into the matter and is VERY interesting to me!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment