Wednesday, July 27, 2016

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH...

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH....
 
I'm all about it and somehow, I keep getting "randomly" selected for research studies down at Mayo Clinic which is great! They asked at my first endoscopy appointment if I would be a part of their Biobank. This would mean that anytime I am there and they do an endoscopy, blood draw, etc. and they take samples from me for work they are doing, the doctors use it for what they need and then the left overs get sent to the Biobank for research. SO, after they remove my stomach, they will section and do the testing needed and then it gets transferred to the Biobank. I hope they are able to get a ton of info off of this stomach of mine!
 
About two weeks ago, I got a letter asking to be a part of another research study. This study will be done during surgery to help determine if it is better to use the ventilator during surgery with low airway pressure or high airway pressure. The low pressure one is almost always used and can cause parts of your lung to collapse. The higher pressure, which isn't used as often, may prevent lungs from collapsing, but may cause low blood pressure which would make it necessary to give more fluids and/or meds to keep blood pressure ranges where they need to be. I had the doctor call me in regards to this as I had quite a few questions. They were all answered with ease and I will help out with this study, also. I will not know before, during, or after surgery which one I was given (the lower or higher pressure), but I'm glad I can help!
"Research is creating new knowledge." Neil Armstrong

4 comments:

  1. I want to say that I think you are very brave having this surgery. I am an Australian and had my stomach removed and part of my liver almost 3 years ago now. I also had breast cancer last year. But every day for the last 3 years I have felt well and have not suffered any set backs but I do look after myself and know I need to do this so I can live as long as possible. I wish you the best of luck and down the track you can still eat a little of everything. I do without any problem but it is only a little. Good luck and god bless you for a happy future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie!! It's encouraging to hear when people are doing so well. I hope nothing but the same for me. I don't expect it to be easy, but worth it not having to worry! I'm glad you are doing well and pray for continued healing for you. Thanks again!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your kind words and I will follow your blog to see that you are doing well. It is just a change in eating habits really and I have a Vit.D tablet once a week now and a B12 injection every 3 months. You will be going to the toilet a lot more!!!! Just remember energy v food intake. I put only small amounts of food into my mouth at a time and chew chew chew. Between meals I only ever drink water (sips at a time) and in the afternoon have 1/2 cup of coffee or tea. You can never feel hungry or crave food again but it is all part of my life and I never think about it. It is a little difficult in the beginning working out just how much food to eat, I had mine blended for quite a while. Be patient with time and eventually life goes back to almost normal. I look forward to reading more of your blog. Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for even MORE tips!! I'll take all I can get so I'm that much more prepared! :) I was thinking the craving piece would be more of a mental thing, but you never have much for cravings anymore? Do you still get that "butterflies in the tummy" feeling or the "dropping" feeling like on a roller coaster ride? These are all things I'm VERY curious about!!! Patience is not an easy task for me, but I will be more aware of it for sure. I want this to go as perfect as it can!! :)

      Delete