Tuesday, March 21, 2017

GALLBLADDER

So, along with a total gastrectomy comes rapid weight loss. Along with rapid weight loss comes gallbladder attacks. Knowing that so many TG patients have to have their gallbladder removed after surgery, I asked Dr. Kendrick if he would just take mine while already in there removing my stomach. He said only if it looked inflamed. It did not, so it stayed. Because of my concern with this, he put me on a med (Ursodiol) for 6 months to help avoid this and I didn't start taking it... until 1 month post-surgery.

Here we are with tomorrow being my last day of meds. I knew it was coming and was a little nervous about it until I had a total gallbladder attack yesterday after lunch. I was in so much pain it brought tears to my eyes. It didn't help to cry, breathe or not breathe, walk, sit, stand, lay..nothing seemed to help. So, I marched myself to the walk-in. The doctor there said I could go straight to ER to get an IV with pain meds if I would like. I HATE that feeling of being on pain meds, so I toughed it out. He did labs to make sure there was no infection and there wasn't. (my labs all looked good as far as everything goes....from B12 to calcium. Just my protein levels were down a bit, but nothing to worry about) He did an abdomen x-ray to make sure my new tubing all looked good and there were no leaks...all checked out well there, too! He said next would be an ultrasound which they couldn't do last night so his nurses will call today to set up the appointment. If no gallstones show up there, they will do a half day of testing to check for sludge in my gallbladder. Either way, he said not to be surprised if the end result is removal of the gallbladder.

I have had a pain two times in the last two weeks on that side that would make me cringe for few minutes, but it would go away. The doctor said it's normal for a gallbladder attack to start that way. They start as small bursts then become more painful and longer as they come. Yesterday, the pain went from under my right ribcage down my side and then up behind my back to my shoulder. He said to watch what I'm eating as fattier foods tend to cause that more so than less fatty foods, so I'm gonna do my best for the next few days until we figure out a solution....and hopefully NOT another surgery!!! Needless to say, I finish my Ursodiol tomorrow and I'm a little nervous....

9 comments:

  1. So far I have not had a gallbladder problem but when I was about 18 I was a hockey player and always got a stitch in my side so after an xray I was told I had an elongated gallbladder and it would give me trouble in my later years (not happened yet) and so they took my appendix out!!! I never figured that one out but the pain went from my side. Good luck and hope you can avoid another op.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEIRD that they would take your appendix!!! So, far I haven't had any more pain, but they said it will come and go. I got a refill of my med for another month and then I guess we'll see!!! Eeek!

      Delete
  2. P.S. about your protein levels, I have always based all my meals on protein and my levels are good even after 3/12 years. I have to have iron injections to keep my iron up though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I do pretty well on my protein, so I was surprised that my level was at an 8 and the lowest it should be is a 10. He said wasn't too concerned, but would have been if it was too high. I've been super tired lately, though, even WITH my B12 shot and those levels are good....so thinking maybe I'm really NOT getting as much protein as I thought I was. I started drinking my 30g protein shake mix, again. We'll see if that helps!! :) What kinds of protein do you take in, Julie?

      Delete
    2. as many eggs, meat, cheese, baked beans as I can eat in a day and I drink about 120 mls. per day of a high protein drink called Ensure 2cal in Australia. The protein shake mix I think is the best way of getting protein in quickly, are you allowed to drink more than 30gs? How are your iron levels because if they are low you can feel tired. Yesterday afternoon here it was nice and hot and I swam all afternoon in the pool, but just hopped out now and again to have a snack and a drink. I am very strict with myself regarding making sure I eat and drink regularly, even though I don't feel like it sometimes.....hope you can feel a lot less tired...cheers

      Delete
    3. I always forget that not JUST meat as protein!!! I had googled tired & cold all the time and got a lot of information about iron, so started taking a supplement for that AND a chewable B12. I'm not as cold anymore, but still tired from time to time. I wonder if a chewable iron would work better?

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry! Gallbladders are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LITEARLLY thought I was going to DIE...that hurt! I don't look forward to that happening, again...hoping I can avoid it!

      Delete
    2. I hope so! The surgery is pretty easy, but you don't need that on your plate!!

      Delete