Wednesday, March 8, 2017

MY AUNT-HOSPTIAL VISIT-FAMILY & TESTING

Today is two weeks since my Aunt Vera had her total gastrectomy.

 Surgery went great!  She was in a LOT of pain right after surgery, but by that evening they were able to figure out her pain management and nausea.  She was quite nauseous in the hospital, but since leaving the hospital she’s been great.  Very little pain, if any, and no nauseousness.  Now, she is just trying to figure out the eating and drinking bit.  She said it’s hard to get in as much fluid as the doctors would like, but she’s doing her best.  Also, she HATES when food or pills get stuck (Amen sister!).  I can honestly say I haven’t gotten anything stuck in quite a few months….I think I’ve figured out when I need to chew extra and that helps a lot!  She has her appointment with her primary doctor today and I only expect to hear good news!

 While at the hospital, I was able to go and visit one of the nurses I had while I was in for my total gastrectomy.  It was really awesome seeing her and although I surely didn’t expect her to remember me, she did.  I did have to tell her about what I had done and when, but then she completely remembered.  I was hoping to see two of my other nurses, but our schedules conflicted so I didn’t get to see them, but I did leave a card for each of them thanking them for all they did for me while in the hospital.  Mayo Clinic-St Mary’s Hospital surely has some of the sweetest nurses.  Also, I was able to see and talk with Dr. Kendrick when he came in to see how my aunt was doing.  He is SUCH a nice guy…AND amazing surgeon. I thanked him up and down for being a great surgeon and, also, had a card for him to read later.  I just wanted him to know how thankful I am for him.  Although, I never had cancer…in a sense, he still saved my life and was so kind to myself AND aunt and for that I’ll never be able to repay him.  I, also, told him that I’ve sent quite a few people his way, so hopefully he’s not sick of doing TG’s, yet.  He said he loves it, so no big deal.  The best referrals come from the patients themselves and I would refer ANYONE to him….ANY day!

 Since my aunt’s surgery, I have talked with my sister and few of my cousins.  My sister is looking into her insurance and talking with her primary doctor soon to do the genetic testing.  I know IF she tests positive, she will do the surgery, but will wait until she’s all done have kids to do so.  A few of my cousins are wanting to do the testing, also, and 3 of them will probably do it together (they’re siblings) after the one has baby #2.  I reached out to another cousin who had cleft palate (there is some research linking cleft palate to the CDH-1 mutation) and she now, too, is very interested and I pretty much had to start from the beginning and give her the low down.  I am SO glad that my family is willing to be preventative and is doing the testing!!!  I think seeing how well I’m doing helps reassure them….you really CAN live without a stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment