Friday, September 23, 2016

FOOD GOT STUCK

Well, my egg and cheese breakfast burrito didn't go well today.  It hasn't gone well in the past, but it's never come back up.  It tastes SO good, is packed FULL of protein, and as long as I chew thoroughly, I have no problems.  BUT...the two times I have had it since surgery, it has gotten stuck just once each time.  I can usually tell the second I swallow if something is going to get stuck.  Today, I was extra careful with my chewing and didn't feel it was going to get stuck at all. Then, out of nowhere with only two bites left of my burrito, I felt a pain my chest.  I tapped my chest near my esophagus, walked around, breathed deep, but there was no hope.  Up it came.  DANGIT!  It's so different with food coming up now as there is no stomach acid to break it down or bile, so the way it looks as it goes down, is the exact way it looks coming up. (there's a plus...ha!)  Every time food has gotten stuck, I'm done with my meal after that.  Just too uncomfortable.  So, there's a first and not a good one.  Oh well!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, I have been following your post op comments and I think you have done extremely well. You mentioned eating a cheeseburger in another post and it took me a lot more time before I was able to finally eat a whole one. Well done and keep chewing...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie!!! I'm being kind of gutsy with things I have been trying from time to time, but so far so good....for the most part! I'm excited I can have seeds, nuts, and peels starting today....bring on a pickle, strawberries, and cashews! Just not all at the same time! haha

      Delete
  2. Hi Heather. I still do this a lot, and regrettably it is all of my own doing. I am either chatting or just trying to eat too fast, which is a huge no-no for us. I can weeks without it happening once, and then all the sudden I get a couple of them in a row. Keep up the amazing job that you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have DEFINITELY noticed if I'm distracted or not whole-heartedly paying attention to eating, that happens to me, too! Today I had two chicken strips and probably should have stopped there, but why would I do that? It tasted SO good...so I had the fries, too. DANGIT...TOO MUCH FOOD!!!!! Definitely felt that and wasn't sure what was going to happen. It tried coming up, but stayed down. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?! haha!!!

      Delete