Tuesday, September 13, 2016

FOUR WEEKS POST-OP

Today is FOUR weeks since I had my WHOLE stomach removed due to the high chance of Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer which took my moms life and most likely my grandfathers life.  Having an 83% chance of stomach cancer with a 4% chance of survival if I waited until/if I got it wasn't something I was willing to put my odds up against.  I can truly say I have not regretted my decision to do so once!

I am feeling really good, for the most part.  I'm having a hard time figuring out the nausea I have in the mornings (feels like morning sickness and I KNOW it's not that).  I've tried eating right away, waiting for awhile to eat, eating food, only having a protein shake, etc.  Nothing seems to be working.  So, I guess I'll just be dealing with that during my mornings.  I, also, haven't gained any extra energy this last week, but I do look forward to my B-12 shot this Friday in hopes it boosts my energy a little more.  I've been really careful about eating this last week and can't recall getting food stuck even once.  I've, also, increased my portion size a little bit which sometimes has been ok and other times, I stand up and realize I've eaten too much as I have an ache in my non-stomach and that's really the only way I can tell I've eaten too much.  I tried pop for the first time and expected it to burn going down which it did not, but it did leave my non-stomach quite gassy and bloated.  I, also, had chicken nuggets and fries as that was Paige's pick after her first day back at pre-school.  The chicken nuggets tasted nasty having to chew them as many times as I do and the fries were blah.  I think I had 2 nuggets, 4 fries, and then my apple slices since I ordered off the kids menu.  It's crazy that things taste so much differently that I expect them to....I guess they were right when they said my taste buds would probably change after surgery.  I don't think there was anything else real wild and crazy that I tried this last week.

Dr. Kendrick's team called me on Friday to see how everything was going since I'm not going in for a follow-up appointment.  They asked a ton of questions and said it sounds like everything is on the right track.  I should start getting more energy back after about 2 months post-surgery.  Also, the pain under my left breast still and swollenness isn't uncommon as that incision was a little bit bigger than the rest (and even so it's only like an inch and half) and they had to cut through quite a bit of muscle.  Plus, having my lungs right there doesn't help.  That should go away with time.  I have just been heating and icing it when it bothers me too much.  If I'm going to be getting a stricture (closure where my esophagus and small intestine meet which doesn't allow food to flow through properly), they usually see it after the 1 month mark, but not smoking (which I don't) or drinking through a straw should help, but I need to be aware of it.  The fever I have had off and on since surgery (not getting more than 100.5) is not uncommon as my body is trying to heal and at times may think there's an infection.  If it gets more than 100.5, then I need to call them ASAP.  I haven't had a fever for over a week I would say, though.

My main frustration this week is that Aflac still hasn't paid me for my disability leave, yet, and it's been FOUR weeks!  They have a few questions for the surgeon and have a call out to them is their excuse this time.  I thought Aflac was supposed to be rockin' when it comes to paying out claims and I swear to God, if they for some reason do not pay...I'm going to FREAK!  I waited over a year to have this surgery because of their pre-existing condition clause and have done everything they've asked.  I'll just cross my fingers and toes that this is the last step to their madness and they pay out!

So, everything seems to be on the up and up minus the Aflac insurance!  I go back to work next Monday and getting back into a routine will help as long as I bring enough snacks with to keep my body happy.  I think it's perfect that I get my B-12 shot Friday and start work Monday...hoping for a GREAT day with lots of energy.  (hey...a girl can wish...you just never know!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment