Tuesday, September 20, 2016

SIX WEEKS POST-OP

Today is SIX weeks since I had my WHOLE stomach removed to avoid the cancer that took my mom's and grandpa's lives.

I had my post-op appointment and first B-12 shot since getting out of the hospital.  I had my primary doctor do my post-op so I didn't have to drive all the way to Mayo (7 hours) for them to tell me in 15 minutes that all is well.  Dr. Kendrick was ok with this as long as I let them know if anything feels "off."  Post-op went well and things seem to be going perfect she said.  I was hoping to have this overwhelmingly large boost of energy after my B-12 shot...meh.  I don't feel like it made a HUGE change, but I think any extra energy is good.  I guess we will see as time goes on as my body is still healing and adjusting.  I am going to go in next month to make sure I can give the shot to myself correctly and then I'm on my own.  It doesn't seem too tricky, but I sure had a lot of questions that went with it like where do I get a sharps container, where do I get alcohol wipes for the B-12 bottle and my leg when I give it, etc.  All very valid questions before taking the leap on my own and going for it.

This last week, the only crazy thing I tried was a cheeseburger and it went well.  It might have been a little bit too much as when I stood up I had pain in my non-stomach, but it sat well!  I, also, learned that I cannot chug drinks when I feel thirsty.  It feels like it kind of gets stuck and then gets super gurgle-y. 

Yesterday was my first day back and work and it went GREAT! Now, I can REALLY figure out my new normal. I stayed for the WHOLE day and had NO issues, at all. Kept up on my snacks and fluid intake and all went well!!! Couldn't have asked for a better first day back!

Aflac is STILL not on my good list!  I finally had Dr. Kendrick's office reach out to them since they said they reached out (even though there was NO documentation of it) and never got a call back.  Nicki from Dr. Kendrick's office was VERY helpful.  She reached out to them and the code provided on the sheet was not a CPT code and that's what Aflac needed.  So, Nicki gave them the CPT code for "laparoscopic complete gastrectomy."  The representative said that CPT code and term is "too general" for them to cover my disability claim.  I don't think I'm being outrageous when I say that I think that CPT code and term is actually QUITE descriptive.  Nicki faxed over all of Dr. Kendrick's notes from surgery and she said the only line that will help them, she's thinking, says something to the affect of "surgery required and advised due to the high probability of cancer."  I'm nervous that's not going to do it, BUT...I'm giving them until the end of the week before I give them a call and bug them, again.  It's sad to say, though....I don't have a lot of faith and for that, it makes me EXTREMELY irritated...especially since I did SO much leg work before even signing up for the policy to make sure I would be covered while on leave.  I'm not sure I know of anyone who would want to pay premiums for over a year and still go almost 6 weeks without a paycheck.  I guess we will see what happens....

I'm still feeling awesome considering I'm 6 weeks out from surgery.  I still am in shock with how good I feel and how it seems as if I'm figuring out how things work for me pretty quickly!  I'm very happy.  If I would have known how good I would be feeling after surgery, I wouldn't have freaked myself out so much before.  However, each person is different and I have read so many blogs where people have many complications so it's clear why I was nervous besides the fact of it being such a huge surgery.  I'm going to keep on keepin' on and look forward to this wonderful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment