Tuesday, November 7, 2017

SO...HOW EXACTLY DOES THAT WORK?

I LOVE telling people about life without a stomach and I REALLY get a kick out of telling and explaining it to medical professionals!
I saw a medical doctor on Friday for something non-TG related. Our conversation went something like this, when going over my health history...
Doctor, "Why did you have a total gastrectomy?"
I explained how my mom and grandpa both passed from stomach cancer and I was being preventative given my odds of having an 83% chance of getting it with a ...4% chance of survival. Those weren't odds I was willing to go up against and this was the only thing that would GUARENTEE I would not get the same cancer that killed my mom and grandpa. It's similar to someone choosing to have a mastectomy due to a BRCA mutation.
Doctor, "So, how exactly does that work?"
HAHAHA....here it goes......and I gave the best, but shortest answer I could. I'm all about informing others, but it surprises when I have to tell a medical doctor "how it works."

No comments:

Post a Comment