Friday, August 14, 2015

SO, WHAT DOES HAVING THIS CDH1 MUTATION MEAN???

Having my CDH1 gene mutated means I have an 83% chance of Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer (the same cancer that killed my mom and most likely my grandpa (even though his death certificate lists a different kind of stomach cancer, my genetic counselor thinks because there wasn't a lot of information about this cancer when he passed, it very well could have been listed incorrectly)). The average onset age of this cancer is 38 (my mom was 44 years old when she passed) and by the time you have any symptoms evolve, you are usually in the 3rd or 4th stage of cancer (NOT GOOD!).  Did I mention....LESS THAN 1% OF AMERICANS get this Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer (HDGC is what we will call it going forward).  So, I really want to be on top of my game here since it is so rare and aggressive.  With this I have 3 options:
1. Do nothing (not my cup of tea)
2. Do scopes/biopsies every 6 months in hopes they catch it sooner than later (this cancer is not like others in that it doesn't form a mass, but rather engulfs the whole stomach and doesn't even show up on any xrays or anything like that, so scopes are the only way to catch it IF they biopsy the correct part of the stomach and how are they to know what part of the stomach is the "right part" which is how they missed my moms cancer during her first scope).
3. Complete Prophylactic Gastrectomy (complete removal of the whole stomach done on a preventative level). 

 Also, this means a 60% chance of Lobular Breast Cancer. They say starting at 35, I need to start doing mammograms and MRI's every 6 months. I did, however, start with my first mammo today at 30 years old since they "found something suspicious."  Everything came back just fine, so I will see them back in 6 months for an MRI.  Also, I will continue to focus on my stomach.  My primary doctor said they are way more advanced in breast cancer research then stomach cancer, so she agrees focusing on the stomach is ideal.
Uffda (yes, I really said uffda....I am from North Dakota after all ) that was a lot of info at one time....I'll let that process for a bit and then continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment