Friday, August 14, 2015

FIRST ENDOSCOPY (hopefully not too many more after this one!)

As I sat at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN waiting for my first endoscopy (scope/biopsy of my stomach), I was STARVING....had to fast for it, so was trying to stay strong until after (scheduled at 12:30, but my doctor said they usually run late).  Don't let the location of "Mayo" scare you!! Everything I'm currently doing is to be PREVENTATIVE!!! I would like to be around for awhile....at least through my daughters proms, graduations, wedding, babies, etc. and a lot of these my mom did not get to experience.  So, there I sat with a growling tummy, but that's ok...not always going to have that feeling, so I'll take it while I can, I guess!

The endoscopy itself was not the most comfortable thing I've ever done especially since I was not fully put to sleep for it.  My throat, even now after 3 days, is still a little sore.  (Don't worry...I made sure to treat myself to nice big ice cream on the way home to soothe my throat since I was such a good girl for the scope.)  I got my test results back yesterday and NO CANCER....yay!  I didn't expect there to be since I'm not having any symptoms, but anything is possible.  On the flip side, they did find that I have gastritis and H. pylori.

"Gastritis is an inflammation, irritation, or erosion of the lining of the stomach." (I copy pasted that sentence from WebMD.)  Of the list of things that cause that, the only one that holds true for me is stress. Gastritis could, also, be... the cause of the H. pylori.

"H. pylori is a bacteria that lives in the mucous lining of the stomach; without treatment, the infection can lead to ulcers, and in some people, stomach cancer." (also, copy-pasted from WebMD) Sounds like you can get H. pylori from just about anywhere.

 I will start a 2 week round of 2 antibiotics and an acid reducer. My doctor is thinking that with those 3 things, it should take care of the gastritis and the H-pylori!

No comments:

Post a Comment