Friday, August 14, 2015

WHY DON'T YOU GET A SECOND OPINION?

I want to be very open and honest about EVERYTHING here for everyone following along.  I appreciate all of your support, questions, comments and will answer things as we go, so keep them coming!!!

 This one I heard on the side and not directly from the person it came from....and that's ok, too!
"Why wouldn't you get a second opinion? This is a lot of information to take in with a lot of decisions to make?"
I emailed my genetic counselor on this. Although, I FULLY believe what he is telling me and did not even second guess a second opinion, I still emailed him on this. He as 2 answers:

1. Well, your genes are your genes. You can't really change them. It's not like I'm telling you that you have a certain condition or cancer. I'm telling you how your genes read. 
 2. Usually patients come to Mayo for a second opinion. Not sure if there is somewhere else you might want to try for a second opinion or if you would want to do another blood draw and have it reanalyzed?  He fully believes in their lab with all the strict guidelines and regulations they have . He said the only thing would have been if my blood sample got switched, but that would be quite odd with how rare this is.  It would be one thing if it came back with a mutated CDH1 gene, but I never had any family history of HDGC or lobular breast cancer. Then, again....that's the reason I am being seen there....because OF my family history! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment