Friday, August 14, 2015

WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR MUTATED CDH1 GENE FROM??

The ONLY way you can carry this CDH1 mutation is if it's carried down by a parent. My mom was not tested for this, so I had NO idea what would come of this. Could have come back positive, negative (still would have a chance of stomach cancer since it's in my family, but wouldn't have been as preventative about it), or inconclusive (something weird going on with the gene, but not sure what). So, although having it come back positive (thanks mom) isn't GREAT, I look at it as better than the other two options.

Now, this means my mother obviously had the mutated gene along with either my grandmother or grandfather. This, also, means my sister, my maternal aunt, my maternal uncles, and my daughter, Paige, all have a 50% chance of having the mutated gene.  I can't speak for everyone else, but I know we will have Paige tested in 10-15 years IF she wants to know. It's worth it to wait that long with science changing and letting it be her own decision.  Once you test negative, that gene will never be found down the line (ie: it doesn't skip generations).  So, that's how that works.  Finding out isn't for everyone and that's ok.  Seeing all my mom went through first hand and how awful it was helped me decide I wanted to know so I can be as preventative as possible and hopefully NEVER have to deal with that OR have Paige watch me go through that!

No comments:

Post a Comment