Thursday, August 25, 2016

VITAMINS/SUPPLEMENTS

I've had a couple people ask me about supplements that I will need to take due to having no stomach.

The only vitamin that you absolutely cannot get without a stomach is B-12. I will end up doing B-12 shots monthly. Eventually, I will do it on my own at home, but for the first few times, I'm going to go in to make sure I'm doing it right. You can tell you are in need of your shot when you start getting pretty lethargic. Besides that shot, everything else is oral. I have already started taking 2 Tums 2x/day, 1 Flinstone Vitamin 2x/day, and 1 Vitamin D-3 1x/day. It almost acts and feels like a meal! ha!

Due to the rapid weight loss, especially in the first 6 months, gallstones can and often occur. To prevent gallstones and having to lose my gallbladder, starting September 16th (one month post surgery), I'll be taking 1 Ursodiol 2x/day for 6 months. This med, even after insurance, is quite spendy, but looking at the bright side- not having another surgery and not having to meet my deductible and co-insurance, again if it happened in the new year, is worth it, I suppose!!!

4 comments:

  1. Just read your blog and I did not know about the gallstone issue. My weight dropped to 40 kilos (I am now 51) but so far have had no trouble with my gallbladder. Here in Australia I only have a B12 shot once every 3 months and we are not allowed to give it to ourselves so have the Dr. do it but the visits costs nothing when you are over 60. I drink a high calorie drink every day called Ensure 2Cal and have 200 mils. a day which has helped me put on weight. I send you my best regards for a speedy recovery without any problems. Eventually when you get sick of pureed food, it is time to start on real food once again - that's how I judged it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just read about the gallstones so often when checking out other people's blogs and I really didn't want to have another surgery. Dr. K said he would take !!! Shots don't bother me, but I don't like being poked and prodded if I don't have to! HAHA
      I already am sick of pureed foods...haha...didn't take long! Tuesday I can start on REAL food and I look forward to that...a LOT! I have been drinking since Tuesday these Premier Protein shakes which are already made and not chunky like a lot of protein shakes I've tried. 30g of protein and only 1g of sugar!!! They taste pretty good, too!! :)

      Delete
  2. Remember to shop around for your B-12. I am getting mine at Walgreens for $4 something a shot. Target and Hy-Vee wanted almost $19 a shot. Cub Food was around $8 per shot. It is all the same thing, some places just gouge you for it.
    I am so happy that things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea!! I will do it the first couple times in the office, but that's not a bad idea. We don't have anything like a Walgreens here (I wish!)...just like CVS and because of weird ND laws, no pharmacy can be in a Target or Wal-Mart, so I'm pretty limited. I will have to call around, though. Do you just call and give them your info or what all do they need in order to let you know your out of pocket cost?

      Delete